Happy birthday to me!
Today I enter my 47th year on this planet, and as I enthusiastically wave goodbye to 46, I share with you 46 random thoughts.
Some are lessons I’ve learned along the way, some are things I hope to do for the first time [or more consistently] during my 47th year. And some are, well… just random. It’s my party, and I’ll randomize if I want to.
1. Laughter is good for your soul.
2. It’s also pretty good for your abs.
3. The diligent use of sunscreen is the absolute best way to avoid premature aging.
4. I should have been better at #3 during my younger years.
5. Traveling abroad has made me a better person. For sure a smarter and more tolerant one. See as much of the world as you can!
6. Good grammar and table manners will always serve you well. It’s never too late to work on either.
7. Be friendly with lots and lots of people. These are your acquaintances. Know the difference between them and your friends.
8. Go deep with a select few. And then hold onto them for life.
9. The song lied, “sorry” is not the hardest word. Help, as in I need yours, is. At least for me it is. I need to figure out why that is.
10. PMS is a real condition. It took me way too long to figure this out. And it explains SO much.
11. Never go grocery shopping on an empty stomach. Just trust me on this one.
12. You are not your child’s best friend. You are their parent. Act like it. They will thank you. Eventually.
13. Self-actualizing through your job, no matter how big that job is, is very dangerous. Especially if you should lose that job.
14. It takes a very long time to reprogram those tapes playing in our heads. You know, the ones that got recorded through our childhoods. Do it. It’s so worth it.
15. Move every day. You don’t need to run a marathon. Just move.
16. Be grateful for what you’ve got. There is always someone worse off than you.
17. Don’t go to bed with a messy kitchen. Nothing ruins a day faster than waking up to a sink full of dirty dishes. Just deal with it before you call it a night.
18. And in that same vein, don’t go to bed before removing your makeup. No matter how tired (or drunk!) you are. This habit will have a much bigger impact on your skin than the expensive products you slather on after the damage is done.
19. Try something new. Whether it’s a new food, a new style of clothing, or a new experience. What’s the worst that could happen?
20. My new thing to try is meditation. I promise to make a concerted effort on this one.
21. Cut your hair. Ladies, if you’re still rockin’ the same ‘do’ you sported in high school, it might be time for a change.
22. If this is you (above), ask yourself what you’re afraid of. Hair can be quite the security blanket. Have the courage to let it go.
23. Eat more fruits and veggies. I don’t care if they’re carbs. You will not get fat from eating too many apples or bananas. God’s honest truth.
24. You are beautiful. So am I. It sure took me long enough to get here, so now I’m going to scream it from the rooftops. I AM BEAUTIFUL!
25. Cold, dark days impact my psyche in a big way. Especially when they’re strung together for weeks on end. I should really consider moving somewhere with a default condition of warm temps and blue sunny skies.
26. If I die never having watched a single minute of Honey Boo-Boo, I will die happy.
27. Also Jersey Shore. And anything involving a Kardashian.
28. A house full of nice stuff seemed really important years ago. Now, when I’m away from it during extended travel, I don’t miss a single bit of that ‘nice stuff’. Rethink your priorities.
29. And hone in on what makes you truly happy. Then do more of that.
30. Learn to cook at least one GREAT meal, one that you are known for. It will feel so great when people in your life request that you make it for them!
31. Give back whenever and however you can. That doesn’t always mean monetary donations. Just find a way to make a difference.
32. The older you get, the less makeup you should wear. Honestly, you don’t want to look like Tammy Faye Baker, do you?
33. Anger will kill you. Also jealousy. Resentment too. Let these toxic feeling go. The minute you do, there will be so much room in your head space for light and love and laughter.
34. Have at least one pair of shoes, one dress and one shade of lipstick that makes you feel like a total femme fatale. And when you wear them, own it. Be that total bad-ass.
35. Be kind.
36. Tell the people you love that you love them. As often as possible.
37. It’s not about the destination, it’s ALL about the journey.
38. Crying at TV commercials does not make you a sap. It means you have a big heart. At least this is what I keep telling myself.
39. Your body can do anything. It’s just your mind you have to convince.
40. This too shall pass. <— Brilliant advice. Keep this in mind. Especially during PMS-related melt-downs.
41. If you’re trying to get rid of clutter in your home, look at each individual item and ask if it is either beautiful or useful. If the answer to both is no, GET RID OF IT. It’s pretty simple.
42. Love yourself.
43. Eat more of what you love. (But maybe go for a walk or a jog afterwards…) Life is too short to deprive yourself.
44. Be proud of the good you do. And the good you are.
45. Don’t wait for the low fuel light to turn on. Fill up sooner. <– My goal for year 47.
46. Don’t be afraid to shine.
And, as always…