Now that we’ve covered Fats, let’s move on to everyone’s favourite dirty little secret… Carbs.
Don’t tell anyone. 😉
Hello, my name is Nancy, and I’m a carb-oholic. For reals. I could seriously forego meat (and have for that year I was red meat-free), but I have a really, really, really hard time turning my back on bread. So many wonderful, delicious varieties. Crusty Italian. Scrumptious Baguette. Marbled Rye. Damn you bread! Why are you so good??? Why must you taunt me???
So let’s talk about carbs friends. Here’s what I learned during my week at the Biggest Loser Resort, Fitness Ridge.
We do need to include carbs in our diet (yay!), but …eating too many carbs will cause you to store fat. Ugghh…
Here are the really, really bad carbs. Do your best to avoid this stuff:
- White bread
- White rice
- Enriched pasta
- Processed foods (cake, candy)
- High fructose corn syrup
- Fruit juices
- Dried fruit
- Sugar-based cereals
Non-starchy Carbs are vegetables >> So fill 50% of your plate with these. At BLR they told us that you can pretty much eat an unlimited amount of non-starchy carbs (or vegetables). So…have at it folks, eat your veggies!!!
And then there are Starchy Carbs. Here are other examples of Starchy Carbs:
- Yams, Sweet Potatoes
- Whole grains
To make it really simple, here’s a cheat sheet of “optimal” carbohydrate choices:
- Fruits (berries are the best choice in this category)
- Yams, Sweet Potatoes
- Beans, Legumes
- Whole grains:
- Sprouted Wheat Bread
- Corn Tortillas
- Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Brown Rice
My big takeaways since the week at BLR are the following:
- Ezekiel Bread. *This may be a US only offering, as I only seem to find it when I’m at my home in Vegas, and haven’t seen it in Toronto. It’s what they served at BLR, and while not as satisfying as a nice rye, it is a healthy and satisfying substitute when I’m craving toast, a sandwich, etc.
- Ak-Mak Crackers. *These may also be US only. Sorry Canadian friends. I’ve actually been bringing boxes home from Vegas with me. BLR recommended these as a healthy cracker choice, when you’re snacking. I like them way better than Melba Toast.
- Sweet Potatoes. God I love them!! I’ll bake one and have a couple slices with dinner; refrigerate the rest and snack on it sliced and cold the next few days. Love, love, love sweet potatoes. Oh, and added tip, if you are craving Fries — opt for Sweet Potato fries instead of regular. Way better option!
- Berries: I’m on a total berry kick lately. I try to have dark berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries or pomegranate) every morning. Love that they offer anti-oxidants and so much goodness to my skin, my digestive system, and my overall health. In fact, I’m convinced it was berries that helped me bypass that cold last month.
That’s pretty much all I’ve got to say about carbs. Well, one last thing: The most important thing to remember: A balanced plate is key! Look to include a good balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates in all your meals.
So, embrace those carbs, mes amis. Just try to choose from the ones in the “optimal” list — and eat them in moderation.